I need your help to create the mini-series
Limerick Soviet Podcast
April 1919. Tanks on the streets of Limerick. Workers on strike. A soviet declared. The workers control prices and produce food. They even have their own police force and money. Help me tell this amazing true story of popular revolt, betrayal and of course, one big session in Thomondgate.
April 2019 will see the Limerick Soviet 100 festival seize the means of entertainment, with plays, film showings, walking tours, exhibitions, conferences and more take place to celebrate this centenary and rekindle that revolutionary spirit of Limerick.
With your help I want produce a 5-part podcast mini-series telling the story of the Soviet, through interviews, dramatisation and some archive footage as part of this festival. The series be recorded in February, produced in March and released in time for the centenary in April, to bring to life the events of the time, the hidden stories and untold parts.
If you want to hear and share this story, then please consider donating what you can towards the costs of producing the series. This is a labour of love for me, but there are equipment and other costs involved, so I am aiming to raise €500 to produce the podcast by April:
- The first €200 goes towards buying recording equipment. Nothing too fancy, just a few mics for recording interviews, dramatisations etc. ACHIEVED IN 4 HOURS! THANK YOU!
- The next €150 is needed to cover travel costs for interviewing different key experts on the period ACHIEVED IN 8 HOURS! THANK YOU!
- The next €150 is for promotion, to help get the story out there. This will mainly be online ads, but also some flyers, stickers etc. ACHIEVED IN ONE DAY! THANK YOU!
- The next €250 will go to paying for some basic professional assistance to make it all sound slick and smooth, NPR-style, maybe a custom theme song etc. ACHIEVED – THANK YOU!
- The final €250 will be put into promotion (perhaps advertise on similar podcasts or the excellent Blindboy Podcast to get the word out), graphic design etc
Help crowdfund the Limerick Soviet Podcast
You can support by giving as little as €1 (or as much as €500!). Those who donate anything will also receive some extra benefits:
- €2+ A Baby Soviet – you get added to an email list and will get an email once or twice a month with some sneak peaks of the script, some small stories from events of the time, and notices about things taking place as part of the Limerick Soviet 100 festival
- €5+ A Cleeves Striker – You get an advanced copy of the first episode, as well as the emails above
- €15+ A Strike leader – Access to the full interviews (not just the clips we use in the podcast itself) as well as everything above
- €30+ A Soviet Commissar – Advanced access to scripts, early drafts, and an opportunity to provide input and feedback to help make the series even better as well as everything above
- €50+ The Sean Dowling special –
A special mention on the podcast and flyers, 10 flyers and 3 stickers posted to you, as well as everything above.Donors of €50+ now will receive everything in ‘A Soviet Commissar’ + flyers, stickers in the post.
For online payments you will be redirected to a secure PayPal page, where you can pay by your PayPal account, or if you don’t have an account simply click ‘Pay with a Bank Account or Credit Card’ to pay directly. Offline donations, bank transfers, Circle or Verse transfers and donation pledges can also be made by selecting ‘Offline Donation’ and replying to the email you get telling me how/when you can pay.
An amazing true story of revolt, hope, opportunity and betrayal, told across 5 episodes
1) The Worker's Rising
This episode will cover the rapid growth of radical trade unionism and socialism in Limerick leading up to 1919, the opposition and resistance to the British occupation, the untold story of the role of women workers in the soviet and what lead to the decision to call the strike
2) A New 'Boss' in Town
This episode will look at how the Soviet ran the city, produced food, printed money, set up their own police force and even brought down the price of milk.
3) Revolution Betrayed
In the third episode we will investigate the battles inside the Soviet, and in the trade unions and labour movement nationally, leading up to the ultimate betrayal of the revolution
4) The Road Not Taken
Our second last episode will consider other similar revolts across Ireland at the time, including the forgotten story of ‘Take Back the City’-style housing occupations movement in Limerick in 1921, the alternative vision of a workers republic that inspired so many and how that path was shut off
5) Limerick Soviet 2.0?
Finally we will look at the lessons from the struggle for today, what can we learn from how unions organised low paid and precarious workers rapidly, how left and socialist ideas became commonplace, but also why the struggle did not produce the revolution dreamt of and lessons for those who want to make change today
Meet The Host
Cian is a socialist activist in Limerick, and sits on the Limerick Soviet Centenary Committee. A member of Solidarity and the Socialist Party, Cian has been active on the left in Limerick for almost 15 years. A former councillor, Cian lead the anti-water charges movement in Limerick, was actively involved in the Repeal the 8th campaign and is currently involved in Limerick Housing Action.
Get In Touch
Have a question, suggestion or just want to wish me well? Feel free to send a message using the form.